Friday, May 11, 2012

If You Do The Time... (Final Post)



I find my classmate’s blog “If You Do The Time...” to be very interesting.   My classmate discusses the topic of capital punishment and I would agree that it is a very heated topic.  I think it is important that more and more younger people are well aware of the issues surrounding the death penalty.  The death penalty is a complex subject and I cannot say that I had formed a strong opinion regarding the matter, but after reading into it I am finding that disagree with many of the measures that are taking during the capital punishment process.

My classmate states, “I believe there are certain crimes for which only capital punishment is appropriate.  There are people who deserve the death penalty for murdering other people and who may, if released, continue to harm more victims.”  I do not necessarily agree in making the wrongdoer pay a price equivalent to the harm he has done only when it comes to death.  Death is a cruel and unusual punishment and goes against our moral ethics of the right to live.  If we execute a person, there is not difference between us and the criminal who committed the initial crime of killing another person.  I believe that life imprisonment without parole is a sufficient outcome when discussing murder.

Some argue that rather than spending on a person who may again commit terrifying crime, it is better to put him to death.  “The cost shouldn't matter when a person who cannot be trusted to not harm others must be removed from society.”  If money is not an issue, that there should be no argument about paying for an inmate to remain in jail. 

Some reason that the death penalty will deter murder because people fear nothing more than death.  I do not recognize any validity in using the death penalty as a source to deter a criminal from committing a horrific crime.
Giving the death penalty does will not decrease crime rates in Texas.  Crimes are prevalent in states where capital punishment exists and where it has been abolished. And unfortunately, racial bias and ethnic discrimination is unavoidably evident in the administration of capital punishment here in Texas and across the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment